You know when you envision a project and then you have that miracle moment when it turns out better in real life than you thought it would in your head? For me, that moment was this project – Planked Truck Art.
I wanted to create something fun, bold and unique but with a rustic/farmhouse touch to hang on the wall in my son’s room. Their room is going to be a mix of little boy, rustic and machine and I wanted something that would group those characteristics together.
I really love planked art and thought it might be fun to do a version with trucks, but the whole idea became quite real when I heard about paints from Modern Masters. They have a whole line of Metallic paints and I knew they would be perfect for painting the trucks!
Want to make some of your own too!? Here is how I did it!
Build Your Own Planked Art Canvas
1. Cut your 1×4’s. For each canvas you will need 2 at 14” and 4 at 10.5”
The finished product is 14” x 17.5”
For three you would need 6 at 14” and 12 at 10.5”
2. Stain your wood pieces. Quinn’s and Zachary’s room will be done in Classic Gray so I stained them gray.
3. When the stain is dry, sand the wood down and give it the weathered/rustic look you desire.
Note: I do not own a Kreg Jig (on my wish list!) so I went with this method.
4. Cut out 1/4” MDF to be the size (or close to the size) of your finished project. You can find small sheets at Home Depot and they will cut them for you if you would like. I choose this because it is thin and light and will give me a level back.
5. Using wood glue, glue your top piece to the very top of the MDF. This will give you a nice straight edge.
6. Flip it over, line it up, make sure it is even on both sides and then pin nail it in using 1” nails.
7. Flip it back over and glue your next pieces down.
8. Making sure your pieces are level with the top piece, lift up your MDF at and angle and shoot one pin nail in the end of each of the four wood pieces. This will hold them in place so you can flip the whole thing over and add more nails to the back.
9. Glue and nail your bottom piece on.
And you are done!
Now we have our canvas and can begin to paint!
I used my Silhouette Cameo and downloaded some fun trucks that I liked and cut them out using expressions vinyl. I then applied the “bones” of the vinyl to my canvas.
Then used Pharaohs Gold, Green Apple, Burnt Orange and Sashay Red to paint the template.
The black paint is some paint I had in my supply. I didn’t thing about the tires when ordering and actually like that they are not metallic like the trucks. It gives them more of a “real life” aspect.
This metallic paint is awesome. It brushes on really nice and is all shiny and metallic-y and the trucks look metal – and I love that!
When I was done painting I took off the template/bones and let it dry.
I sanded over the edges of the truck a little to make it look weathered but not too much over the paint itself. I didn’t want to mute the finish.
At the last minute I decided to add some metal chains to the art. I picked up some chain at Home Depot – 3 feet for $1.75 and used a foot of chain for each one.
I measured in from each side 3.5” and used my staple gun to staple the chain to the board at the top of each one. Then I hammered the staple in as flush as I could.
I used command strips to actually hang each piece. The chain is simply for decoration. I used to strips per each piece.
Using my level and my darling little helper (who is constantly asking what she can do to help me!) I hung them up 5 inches apart from one another.
After they were secure to the wall I used 1” x 1/4” bolts to secure the chain. The bolts are only for decoration. I did not use drywall anchors or anything. I simply screwed them into the wall.
I am so happy with how these turned out! I totally love them!
They look awesome with the board and batten I installed and give the perfect vibe for their room. If your haven’t heard of Modern Masters head on over and check them out! They have so many fun metallic colors that could be used in any room of the house! You will love their paint!
I have been sewing and assembling and have a lot of fun things to show you in their room so y’all come back now ya hear!!